Civil Engineering Division Manager
DMA is seeking a Civil Engineering Division Manager for our Chicago office. This position will have the ability to lead and oversee our Chicago-based team offering civil consulting for site design and development, architectural, design-build teams, and engineering.
Our Civil Engineering Division Manager in Chicago provides overall project team leadership, project management and supports/mentors staff on a wide range of project size, materials, and types of projects. Our teams work on a variety of projects based on firm needs & project demand. Ability to work across multiple offices is important.
Our ideal candidate is a motivated problem-solver who is team and detail oriented. This role requires a clear and consistent communicator that exhibits flexibility to work on multiple projects and changing client expectations while leading a team of sound professionals.
- Oversees or supports coordination of team specific appointments, calendars, and meetings.
- Prepares communications, such as memos, emails, invoices, reports, and other correspondence.
- Support Project tasks as assigned by Project Managers i.e. specifications, bid documents, permits, meeting minutes, etc.
- Preparation of design calculations, construction documents, technical specifications, cost estimates, bid evaluation and permitting
- Works on multiple projects concurrently, monitoring project budgets and schedules, and being responsible for overseeing the technical work of multiple team members.
- Respond to technical inquiries or questions from all members of the project and administrative team.
- Manage and mentor project staff to ascertain coordination, completeness, and accuracy of technical requirements.
- Manage and mentor any administrative team member(s) to ascertain coordination, completeness, and accuracy of day-to-day operations.
- Perform specific project assignment in accordance with established and modified progress schedules and within prescribed budgets.
- Capable of performing all design tasks with little to no supervision.
- Track and document individual and office labor costs and monitor budgetary costs associated with all office projects.
- Follow and abide by the DMA employee and safety manuals.
- Contribute to the development of marketing materials and assists with marketing proposal submissions in response to firm qualifications.
- Review and develop design fee proposals for new project opportunities. Coordinate and work with other internal DMA disciplines for a complete proposal response.
- Able to understand the financial aspects of project and overall office performance and management of resources for success in meeting project and management goals.
- Participates in, supports, and may lead annual employee reviews and performance evaluations
· Be detail oriented, adaptable, and enthusiastic
· Exhibit flexibility to work on multiple projects and react to changing client and company expectations
· Be able to take direction and function independently
· Participate and become an active part of the project, division, and office team
· Ability to solve practical problems and deal with variables based on client preferences and in areas where documentation may be lacking, or limited standardization exists
· Possess great organizational and time management skills
· Possess strong analytical skills with the ability to resolve complex issues
· Capable of being assigned and managing multiple projects with a range of complexities
· Ability to interpret and provide a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form
· Experience managing a team of engineers and support staff
· Proficient in Microsoft Office tools (Teams, SharePoint, OneDrive, Outlook, etc.) and Document Control Management Software.
· Thorough understanding of engineering principles, practices, and tools
· Proficient in AutoCAD and other design, data recording, and analyzation software
· Thorough understanding of materials, methods, and tools involved in construction
· Thorough understanding of safety regulations related to assigned projects
· Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and/or comparable applications
· Must be willing to learn and use various fully integrated and transparent cloud-based products
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- An Industry relevant Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent education from a four-year college or university in the field of engineering required
- The ideal candidate will have 15+ years of experience on various project types and projects that vary in scale.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Illinois PE License is required. Providing evidence of PE License. Additional industry certificates and registrations are a plus.