Civil Staff Engineer – Solar
Our staff civil engineer will work as a part of our Chicago-based civil renewable team. The Staff Civil Engineer provides project level support of detailed design and activities related to the preparation of plans, specifications, reports, and other documents for utility-scale solar projects across the nation within prescribed time frame and funding parameters by performing the below duties. This position will primarily be in the office but will also require some occasional travel for site visits.Typical advancement is based on the quality of performance of essential duties and responsibilities. Discretionary advancement is based on employee’s actions and accomplishments. This position will report to the Division Manager.
The candidate will promote a positive image of the firm within the community; uphold the firm’s high standards for engineering design and promote the firm’s policies, practices, and philosophies.
- Provide engineering and technical support to Project Managers and other engineering staff in the preparation of studies, reports, plans, specifications, and construction drawings.
- Possess the ability to interpret plans, sketches, and specifications.
- Ability to respond to common technical inquiries, questions from the client, or members of the project team and to resolve complex technical issues.
- Provide support to Project Managers and senior project staff to ascertain coordination, completeness, and accuracy of critical technical requirements.
- Perform specific work assignments in accordance with established and modified progress schedules and within prescribed budgets.
- Capable of being assigned any sized, more complicated projects and performing all design tasks with very limited supervision.
- Willingness and ability to travel out of town for site visits and construction observation that may include overnight stays.
- Possess experience and/or strong desire for working on utility scale engineering projects in a fast-paced consulting environment
- Have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience developing stormwater management plans, stormwater pollution prevention plans, and/or soil erosion and sediment control plans
- Proficiency using AutoCAD-Civil3D including for developing large grading plans
- Experience using GIS, HEC-RAS, and/or HEC-HMS preferred
- Ability to write technical reports, memos, or other correspondences that conform to prescribed style and format of the client and of the firm.
- Experience in utilizing Microsoft Office Tools (SharePoint, OneDrive, Outlook, etc.) and Document Control Management Software.
- Exhibit flexibility to work on multiple projects and react to changing client expectations.
- Be able to take direction and function independently.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with variables based on client preferences and in areas where documentation is lacking, or only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to communicate and provide a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Possess great organizational skills and time management abilities.
- Be detail oriented, adaptable, and enthusiastic.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of algebra and geometry, as well as calculus and statistical analysis.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
A typical staff engineer would possess a Bachelors’ Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent education from a four-year college in the field of Engineering and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in design or construction of engineering projects.
This job requires Engineering Intern (EI) Certification with intentions of pursing and obtaining a Professional Engineering (PE) License as well.
COMPANY BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
Benefit package includes health, dental, vision, life, long-term disability, short-term disability and long-term care insurances, 401k, Holidays, PTO and every other Friday OFF.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
Reasonable accommodations are available to allow workers with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
The candidate shall have the legal right to work in the U.S.