Vice President of Structural Engineering
St. Louis, MO
The Vice President of Structural Engineering serves as the technical and professional mentor for all Structural Division Managers and technical staff. They partner with company leadership to develop and ensure proper DMA and best engineering procedures are being met. The VP of Structural Engineering will support all DMA Structural Divisions in sustaining the overall company mission and goals and requires prior experience in the technical design, management, accrual, and delegation of structural engineering projects and teams. The Vice President of Structural Engineering directly supervises the Structural Division Managers in all DMA offices (St. Louis-HQ, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Tampa) and indirectly supervises all other Structural Engineering staff.
- Manage projects for approximately 40% of time in support of structural group in all DMA offices.
- Review and develop design fee proposals for new project opportunities. Coordinate and work with other internal DMA disciplines and marketing team for a complete proposal response.
- Engage in the upfront RFQ/P processes for all structural projects so that DMA can comfortably commit to client goals, timeframes, and deliverables.
- Participate in firm leadership Strategic Operations Council meetings.
- Support DMA leadership in development of strategic plans and business efficiencies through a technical engineering lens for the Structural Division. These plans target the achievement of overall company growth as well as hitting profitability targets.
- Serve as a Structural Engineering QA/QC resource for all DMA offices and support the development of an internal QA/QC department.
- Support the maintenance of DMA QA/QC policies and procedures.
- Provide senior level technical support in pitch meetings, conference calls and project interviews.
- Assist in technical workload resource management and inter-office resource sharing. This includes manpower projections, billability reporting and resource assigning.
- Attend industry targeted seminars and conferences on behalf of and with DMA sales staff when necessary.
- Work with division leadership and/or third-party consultants to update and develop in-house processes to manage the project lifecycle. To include, but not limited to providing updates/guidance on project policies, training guides and other support documentation.
- Support the hiring needs of the division working with the DMA In-House Recruiter/HR Generalist. Participate in virtual and in-person interviews, negotiations, and onboarding processes.
- May sign/seal drawings or other required documentation based on division and firm policies.
- Regularly travel to all DMA offices based on project or personnel needs to provide in-person support & guidance.
- Follow and abide by the DMA employee and safety manuals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Be detail oriented, versatile, and enthusiastic.
- Exhibit flexibility to work on multiple projects and react to changing client and company expectations.
- Exhibit flexibility to work with, coach and manage multiple projects and company teams.
- Ability to take direction and function independently.
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills.
- Participate and become a leading part of the project and division leadership through active listening & open communication.
- Possess strong analytical skills with the ability to resolve complex technical issues and questions.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Tools (MS 365 Suite, SharePoint, OneDrive, Outlook, etc.) and Document Control Management Software
- Experience managing and mentoring a team of professionals and support staff.
- Thorough understanding of discipline-specific principles, practices, and tools
- Familiar with AutoCAD/Revit and other design, data recording, and analyzation software
- Thorough understanding of materials, methods, and tools involved in construction.
- Thorough understanding of safety regulations related to assigned projects.
- Ability to perform basic design calculations, figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Must be willing to learn and use various fully integrated and transparent cloud-based products.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with variables based on client preferences and in areas where documentation may be lacking, or limited standardization exists.
Education & Experience
- An Industry relevant Bachelors’ Degree or equivalent education from a four-year college or university is preferred. (A Masters’ degree or equivalent from a four-year college or university is desired).
- The ideal candidate will have 20+ years of experience on various project types and projects that vary in scale.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (PE) in at least one jurisdiction is required. Registration in the primary jurisdiction (or ability to get licensed) of one or more DMA office locations (Missouri, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and Florida) is a plus.
To provide equitable employment and advancement opportunities, employment decisions at David Mason + Associates are based on merit – an alchemy of professional qualifications, demonstrated capabilities, and the ability to be innovative. We recruit and hire the best available talent regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. DMA strives to treat all employees equally with respect to compensation and opportunities for advancement.