Jefferson Barracks Joint Armed Forces Reserve Center
Established in 1826, Jefferson Barracks is the oldest continually operational military post west of the Mississippi River and is a National Historic Site. The 135 acre site in St. Louis, MO is home to several military museums, Jefferson Barracks Nation Cemetery, and serves as an active base for National Guard and Army Reserve units. This project consisted of the design and construction of a new 280,500 SF joint services reserve center to include a three story, 133,000 SF administration building and a one story, 7,500 SF maintenance facility. The administration building offers a full-service dining facility, fitness room, weapons storage vaults, shower/locker rooms and a video conference room.
David Mason + Associates’ structural engineers performed design and construction administration services for the administration building. The main framing system consisted of special steel moment frames and concrete pier deep foundations.
The administration building is designed to LEED Silver standards. Additionally, the building was designed to meet Department of Defense (DOD) guidelines for new construction and progressive collapse. Blast resistant windows and anti-terrorism design requirements were met.