Civil Site Project Engineer
St. Louis, MO
The Project Engineer performs and oversees the detailed design, calculations, and support activities related to the preparation of plans, specifications, technical reports, and permitting for engineering projects. Typical advancement is based on the quality performance of essential duties and responsibilities. Discretionary advancement is based on employee’s demonstrated ability and accomplishments. Where applicable, this position may direct and oversee junior or subordinate staff members regarding construction, operations, and/or maintenance tasks and assignments.
- Prepares and oversees production of construction drawings, specifications, design calculations, and technical reports
- Prepares engineer’s opinion of probable construction cost.
- Responsible for project schedules and time completion of projects.
- Prepares and oversees permit applications for applicable municipal agencies.
- Delegates and oversees project design tasks to Technicians, Designers and Staff Engineers.
- Works closely and coordinates project clarifications, conflicts, and changes with multi-disciplined design teams, owners, and contractors in the field during construction
- May perform site investigations and inspections in the field during and post construction.
- Assists in preparation of proposals for engineering services.
- Assists in the preparation and monitoring of project budgets and billing and assists with A/R.
- Mentors and assists with training Technicians, Designers and Staff Engineers.
- Participates in business development activities as needed
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, monitoring project budgets and schedules, and being responsible for overseeing the technical work of one or more team members
- Estimates materials, equipment, and labor needed to determine project costs
- Monitors project progress and ensures design specifications, safety, and sanitation standards are met
- May sign/seal drawings or other required documentation based on division and firm policies
- Follow and abide by the DMA employee and safety manuals
- Completes other duties as assigned
- Be detail oriented, versatile, and enthusiastic
- Exhibit flexibility to work on multiple projects and react to changing client and company expectations
- Ability to take direction and function independently with limited supervision
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Capable of multi-tasking on a wide range of projects of varying size and complexity
- Participate and become an active part of the project and division team through active listening & open communication
- Possess strong analytical skills with the ability to resolve complex technical issues.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Tools (SharePoint, OneDrive, Outlook, etc.) and Document Control Management Software
- Maintains time sheet, reimbursement documents, and tracks mileage in compliance with company policies.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Revit or comparable software.
- Proficiency in Bluebeam or equivalent document management software
- Ability to perform basic design calculations, figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to read and interpret plans, sketches, and specifications
- Ability to make advanced design decisions based on technical experience
- Ability to effectively present information to project managers, clients, and multi-disciplined design teams through verbal communication, technical reports, memos, or other project correspondence
- Thorough understanding of engineering principles, practices, and tools
Education & Experience
- Holds a bachelor’s degree or equivalent education from a 4-year college or university in the field of civil engineering
- Has a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in design, management, or construction engineering projects
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
- Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) is required
Physical Demands & Work Environment
- Able to be seated at a standard workstation for 75% or more of workday
- Able to use desktop, laptop and/or tablet computer and smart phone for 75% or more of workday
- Able to occasionally travel both locally and long distance
- Work performed with typically be in an office environment with moderate noise level
- Work may be performed remotely based on company & Division’s in-office attendance policy
- Occasional travel to other offices or vendor/company partner/job site locations may be required
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
To provide equitable employment and advancement opportunities, employment decisions at David Mason + Associates are based on merit – an alchemy of professional qualifications, demonstrated capabilities, and the ability to be innovative. We recruit and hire the best available talent regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. DMA strives to treat all employees equally with respect to compensation and opportunities for advancement.